Name:

Hi! My name is Kari and I am a Stay-at-Home wife and mother. I have 1 daughter for now and am constantly struggling to make my new lifestyle work for me.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mother's Day

Sunday was my first Mother's Day. I got a card, a flower, and free reign to go out and buy a couple of new outfits (ones that actually fit my post-pregnancy body).

I also got some perspective. We were sitting around with a bunch of our family and my father-in-law showed us some pictures that had been taken at the home place - the farm that has been in the family for generations. One of the pictures showed some well-worn little gravestones sitting out in a bunch of trees on the home place. Apparently my father-in-law's great-grandparents lost 8 of 9 children to diphtheria within a year and then buried them in the garden. His great-grandmother went crazy, but who could blame her?

All last week I sat around complaining because the Button wasn’t sleeping through the night. Wahhhh, Wahhhh, Wahhh… She’s not taking her naps. Wahhh, Wahhh, Wahhhh… After hearing that story on Mother’s Day, I have been thinking about how blessed I am to have a healthy, good-natured child. We have plenty of friends who are having trouble getting pregnant. We are also very blessed to live in a time where major epidemics are not the norm. Thank you God for giving such amazing abilities to the people creating these vaccinations. Thank You also for creating mothers (and fathers too, but this is a Mother’s Day post!) willing to nurture their children’s creativity and for supporting their educational aspirations.

I hope that I am able to be the kind of mother my daughter deserves... I pray that I have the strength to do the things that need to be done and the knowledge to know when to "hold 'em" (hugs and kisses) and when to "fold 'em" (letting go - giving independence). Alas, this concludes my first Mother's Day post, such that it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home